Every year we enjoy visiting clients, colleagues, and discovering new brands and products at the Winter Fancy Food Show in San Francisco. We found 10 to share with you.
Here are 10 brands worth watching as they grow and develop new products:
- Silk Road Mediterranean Refresher We tried Silk Road’s Cucumber with Mint Soda and were amazed to learn it contains apple cider vinegar and no sugar. Founder Payam Fardanesh has created a line of artisanal organic sodas that are great for your health and absolutely delicious.
- Back To The Roots Alejandro and Nikhil were in college when they discovered they could grow mushrooms inrecycled coffee grounds. Their curiosity about urban farming inspired them to give up their corporate jobs and create ‘ready to grow’ and ‘ready to eat’ products. In addition to the first organic, US grown, 100% stoneground whole wheat breakfast cereal, they offer an inventive product called ‘Mushroom Farm’ that lets you grow the delicious fungi right in the box in only 10 days! We’re eager to see what’s next from this duo.
- Tea Drops What is a Tea Drop? An all-organic, adorably-shaped tea morsel with aromatic spices and a little sugar.They’re handcrafted in small batches and sourced from the finest tea leaves in the world. The line includes both herbal and caffeinated teas. Flavors include Rose Earl Grey, Turmeric, Cardamom Spice, Matcha, and Yerba Mate. These little gems make for a blissful experience.
- CocoaPlanet Our neighbor in Sonoma, CocoaPlanet’s thin wafers have ‘pearls of flavor’ suspended in premium chocolate.Flavors include Dark Truffle, Salted Caramel, and Vanilla Espresso. Each is under 100 calories, too. We’re understandably excited to visit CocoPlanet’s chocolate factory and tasting room when it opens in February.
- Fine Vines Epicurean Condiments Why limit our use of ketchup to just a few foods? These artisanal all-natural ketchups come in 12 delicious flavors including Black Truffle, Lemon Twist, Siracha, and Thai Ginger. Check out Fine Vines’ online recipes, including a Bloody Mary cocktail that’s out of this world.
- Mamie’s Pies Inspired by the pies her mom Mamie made using her great grandmother’s recipe, Kara Romanik has embraced the New England tradition of pie-making. Mamie’s pies are frozen and ready to bake. Flavors for 9” pies and smaller Pocket Pies include McIntosh Apple, Strawberry with a lattice top, and Pumpkin with molasses and brown sugar. Delicious!
- Nuttyness Kristian Salvesen grew up in Norway enjoying marzipan. When he moved to the U.S. he realized he couldn’t find high quality chocolate covered marzipan, even though people love it. Now living in California, where 80% of the world’s almonds are grown, he had the idea to create Nuttyness. He honors Old World techniques and creates chocolate marzipan bars in classic, pistachio, and hazelnut flavors. Their newest confections are Marzibons – bite-sized, beautifully decorated treats in flavors like Orange Cayenne and Lemon Ginger.
- Mike’s Hot Honey What? Yes, chili pepper-infused honey. We were so curious we had to taste it. It’s delicious. Use it on chicken, ribs, biscuits, cheeses… even pizza and ice cream!
- Oliso We were surprised to see our colleagues from Oliso, a housewares manufacturer, at the Fancy Food Show. But it made perfect sense once we learned about their new SmartHub & TopTM. This versatile countertop sous-vide appliance marries an induction cooktop with a double-walled tub. You can also slow cook a whole chicken or make broth. And the induction burner works with your existing cookware. This smart cooktop is precision cooking at its best.
- Beaujolais Granola & Panforte Our neighbors in Sonoma County make delicious non-GMO granola with the best ingredients. Cherry & Cacao Nib and Wildflower Honey & Hazelnut are just two of the flavors to try. Their new Panforte includes a touch of black pepper and dusting of cocoa.
Also be sure to check out these new brands discovered at this year’s show: Marlo’s Bakeshop, Bridge Brands Chocolate, Aiya Matcha, Lesser Evil, The Frosting Queens, Silk Road Rare and Artisan Teas, and Napa Cakes. And don’t forget to check out our favorite brands from last year: O Olive Oil & Vinegar, Clairesquares, Skout Organic, and Chukar Cherries.